Senior Director of Engineering
Head of Engineering of seed stage company that builds cloud PLM for distributed hardware teams, leading 22 distributed developers across four teams — Platform, Integrations, DevOps, & QA.
- Developed quarterly roadmap and technical implementation strategy.
- Partnered with four hiring agencies and created new-hire playbooks and candidate guides leading to 20% growth in engineering
- Implemented Agile methodologies across four engineering teams, optimizing workflow and increased project completion rate by 50%
- Established new on-call and support rotation protocols for incident management
- Reduced time to ship cycle times by 30% by transitioning company to trunk model
- Led and implemented company to SOC 2 Type 1 compliance building a reliable and secure platform for our customers and increased operational efficiency
- Led quarterly technical growth & strategy workshops to develop engineering leadership skills among leadership team
- Created and implemented Engineering competency matrix, engineering values, and engineering career levels with accompanying pay bands — incorporating practical application of the SPACE framework
- Fostered a culture of continuous learning and growth, initiating a mentoring and coaching program that enhanced team skills and collaboration
- Led monthly Engineering all-hands
- Conducted and tracked weekly 1:1s across 12 engineering direct reports
Director of Engineering
Led teams. Developed org roadmap with applied OKR strategies. A people-first Engineering leader building team process and culture through strategic planning that aligned business vision/priorities with technology. Optimized developer productivity through the SPACE framework for high efficiency fostering a high-trust/low-blame culture, increasing weekly shipping cycle times by 1.5x, balancing delivery of fulfilling challenges and people happiness across mobile, web, data, qa, and fullstack teams.
Advised and partnered in management development through educational programs to grow Route's leaders, leveling up several engineers to leads, and leads to managers. Led performance reviews and calibration feedback cycles. Advised on understanding engineering productivity metrics that made impact to 50 engineers.
VP of Engineering
- Led team from 0 to 1 in areas of platform architecture, APIs, and data warehousing/analytics to ship a production MVP.
- Managed two distributed remote teams of 15 engineers
- Set quarterly engineering budgets and KPI's
- Established an end-to-end hiring process conducting an average of 5 screens per week
- Provided meaningful coaching through mentorship and advisory techniques guiding engineers and team leads with fulfilling challenges to help scale the future development of the company.
AWS, Heroku • Node.js, Redis, Postgres • CI/CD, GitHub • Ashby, Greenhouse, LinkedIn • Mixpanel, Metabase, Data warehousing, Intercom • Google/Yelp APIs: Maps, Places, Distance Matrix, Photos • Cloud, CDN Storage • Linear, Product Board, Agile, scrum
Director of Engineering
- Managed team of 25 across engineering, product, design, and research, executing company vision with technology through OKR strategies.
- Led end-to-end hiring efforts; from initial stages of recruiting, scheduling, conducting near daily phone screens, setting up full panel interview loops to the final negotiation stages and offer.
- Led company growth and development, including software engineering on web and mobile, product development, research, analytics, and marketing.
- Closed $5M in seed funding from strategic allied angel partners, and grew the company to 40 employees across the globe.
CoFounder, Chief Executive Officer
Agent (now inactive) was a SASS marketplace to book models, actors, and other industry talent attracting over 75,000 active independent creators and 3,000 clients within the U.S. that aimed to cut out middlemen (talent agencies), providing PCI compliant payment solutions and invoicing, portfolio media hosting, booking/scheduling tools, algorithmic job matching, AI talent searching, casting management, and advanced top of industry clout analytics.
Mix began as a co-op product between Garrett Camp (founder of Uber) myself, and a third cofounder. Together we collaborated to create something that mixed each of our interests and backgrounds (pun intended, of course). With my experience in developing social networks, and Garretts profound knowledge in content discovery (StumbleUpon), we created an idea that allows users to discover, collect, and share content with like-minded friends. Mix remains in the AppStore today with over 30,000 creators.
Principal Frontend Engineer
Migrated the web application from a Ruby on Rails monolith to a robust single page application API client utilizing Node.js/npm.
Frontend Tech Lead
- Employee number 30
- Created first official Twitter frontend widget platform for 3rd party developers
- Built and launched embedable timeline widgets, which accounted for 30% of all search traffic
- Developed tweet and follow buttons
- Lead on Twitter.com 2010 redesign & rearchitecture. Shipping the following features: infinite scrolling, user autocomplete, hover cards, and more
Design Engineer, Educator
My principle role at Google was to work between the User Experience Team and Software Engineers as Google's lead prototyper and web developer within the Gmail org. I created exploratory rich UIs used for RITE studies and ported usable pieces into Google's main UI library (Closure).
- Developer advocate of the Yahoo User Interface Library.
- Winner of purple star award for developing the Page Builder tool for Yahoo Site Builder, a multi-tenant SaaS product designed to assist small businesses in creating, designing, and launching their own websites.
- Developed the domain sale, checkout experience, page builder, and content editor
End to end development for professional NFL, NBA, MLB, and Olympic Athletes.
Worked with a Certified NLP, EFT, and Success Coach in performance and leadership to level up management and mentorship skills through the "Lead to Scale Method" and transform blocks and blind spots, learning self-mastery to lead in business and teams more effectively.
Online Forum Editor and Opinion writer for the State Hornet University Newspaper. Developed online forums for CSUS Recreational Sports and small webpages for student athletes.
Scholarshiped student athlete.